Garage - The execution (2/3)


To be able to draw the lines I use a twine fixed with a tack, then I marked the points on the canvas to finally, use a ruler. It's tricky when vanish line is far from the canvas, for the left side I had to put the canvas upside down and move it almost one meter to the right to get it to match...
Finally, I use watercolor as underpaint to help define the colors,
It was all going great until I waterbrushed the car...That's when I realized that I should never have used a soft pencil for the lines because it smears...a lot.
To fix it, I sealed the canvas, something I should have done right after the pencil drawing was done, oh well...
Getting straight lines with gouache (or acrylic, oil) it's really hard, I'd never even think of it until I had to do it myself, so I got masking tapes to try "cheat" but it didn't work, the paint end up going under the tape because of the texture of the canvas...
"Use a ruler" a voice inside my head was screaming like it was the most obvious thing to do...but yeah, it fails too for the same reason as the tape and plus the fact that I had to hold the ruler against the canvas and risking to mess up with the other areas I've been painting before...
In the end I just had to do it by hand with my new "mahl stick" made of a piece of wood and a bottle cork,well it works!


When I paint I always start by the darkest spot (the higher value) because that will define the whole painting as no other place will be darker then that, at least that's how I do with my ballpoint pens illustrations, with this paint I knew the darker spot would be on the car and it would a very dark blue so I was more worried about the rest and that's way I started on the shelves (I also do this because if there's a place you can mess up and still keep hope its's here my friend, at least for ballpoint pen).



But painting with gouache it's so fun because you can go back to fix things, you can use the colors you mixed and dried by adding a little bit of water, although the best practice is to add more paint instead of water and you can have this kind of palettes and it's alright! 

I'm using this small brush for the details on the bike, I decided to go with a different style and a different position or the bike because...the way I first put it didn't really make sense as bikes almost always have the side rest bar on the left and not on the right as I first draw it so I had to redraw it but the canvas was already sealed and that's when I started to "draw" with paint! It's an amazing thing to do, just get the brush with paint and start painting shapes and to see it come together, there's no turning back now, I can assure you!


Here's an image I put on my Instagram to show that particular process

More on the next and final post about this painting.

Comentários

Mensagens populares