Garage - The concept (1/3)


At first, the client wasn't sure about what she wanted, there was this main concept of a car (a BMW) and a motorcycle( a Harley Davidson) on a garage surround by tatto stuffs, rims on the wall and a giant poster of a futebol club, after some texts and emails I send her a draft I created using SketchUp and some models from the 3D wharehouse.

More back and forth with emails and some more SketchUp drafts later, we ended up reducing the scene to only the bike and the car on the garage but now I had to figure out the best composition, she send me a image of how she wanted the garage to look like so I create a draft based on that but it wasn't coming along so we ended up sticking with the image itself for the background.

After getting the car and the bike on the right perspective I was ready to start painting but first I had to transfer the composition to the canvas...

There's a lot of ways to transfer a  drawing to a canvas, using graphite on the back of the page and then using a ballpoint pen to trace the drawing on the canvas as a cheap carbon paper is one way or using a grid system, but when the destination area is quite large the best way it's to use a projector, That is, providing you have one...

After seeing a lot of DIY projector online i thought i could try it myself.
The requirements were a cellphone and a magnifier so I got them on a shoebox for just then realize that the magnifier I had wasn't that good and as result the cellphone ended up outside the box, defeating the purpose of having it in the first place...

But it was done now, so all I had to do was to get my pencil and start drawing on the canvas, well, it's not as simple as I first thought, because you need it to be dark so the image can be projected (a cellphone can´t generate the light a "real" projector can), but to see the lines you are drawing becomes a issue.
After getting the landmarks on place, I had to redraw everything so it could be ready for painting and there's when i notice the lens distortion caused by the cheap magnifier...

If it was a portrait, that is the most recurrent subject I paint /draw, it would be easier to fix but with construction subjects the lines had to match so now I'm out to find a ruler big enough to fit the canvas and to use to get each vanish point...



Comentários

Mensagens populares